Thursday, June 17, 2010

STATUE OF LIBERTY

On this date in 1885, The Statue of Liberty arrived in New York Harbor aboard a ship from France.
I have always loved the Statue of Liberty because of her history; a gift from France, unable to be placed because there was "no money for the base".  It was the working class, mostly immigrant, population of the United States, particularly New York, who raised the money, one penny at a time, to build a base for this gift.  And, together with Lazarus' wonderful poem, it welcomed legions of immigrants to this country.  Growing up, Liberty was the only icon I had and I love her still.

How much we continue to owe to 'immigrants'.

2 comments:

Casimire said...

What amazed me about the ststue (as a metal smith) is that it is all chased copper. Hard to imagine how they did it!

Morgan said...

How I have always loved Lady Liberty.
Morgan