Monday, March 22, 2010

GYPSIES AND COMPUTER GAMES


My friend and Romani activist has recently been approached by a "game" maker who is making yet another game with "Gypsy" characters. He wants some inside information about Romanipe (Romani culture) so he can "understand" us. He's not trying to understand us (ha), he wants to make money by exploiting us.
The following is Casimire's response. It says it all.

WE ROMANI PEOPLE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF A VERY BRUTAL GENOCIDE ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Yes, I know there is good and bad in every culture. But you gotta understand. We have been maligned, put into slavery, discriminated against and stereotyped for so long. Do you know that many people still think we are son's of Cain from the Bible story Cain & Able? Condemned by god to roam as fugitives and vagabonds? Do you know that we are blamed for forging the nails that crucified Christ? That is what Hitler used as an excuse to murder millions of us in the Devouring. Here in the United States there were ordinances on the books until quite recently (1960's) that Gypsies were not allowed on the streets after dark. That in some states we had to register as Gypsies? That we were kicked out of Portland Oregon, when we were seeking shipyard jobs in WWII? My friend Morgan Ahern of Romani against Racism was taken from her home at 7 years old and put into a Boarding School in a Government forced assimilation program. She did not see her parents till she was 40. As I might have mentioned to you. I spoke Romanichal dialect in my home. Teachers thought I was retarded and put me in special school. Then when they figured out what was going on they beat me and brushed my teeth with phisiotex hospital soap for speaking my dialect!. That is how I learned about the Cain and Able thing. I was a little kid and this bitch is blaming me for one of the original sins. So Dave how about making the Gypsies the ones with virtue for one God dammed time? Like I told you we are always in league with Satan, like in the Dracula movies! Now you have us drinking blood which is a real slap in the face.
Check out Morgan's Blog, we are still in the middle of a very brutal world wide Genocide.
I don't want to sound superstitious but you do not know what you are playing with in regards to Marheim.
SO saying I am asking you kindly and in a good way to please put Romani people in a good light for a change. We have been associated with vampires and negative stereotyping for centuries. Blamed for baby stealing and prostitution and thievery! We have had enough, you asked my opinion and that is how I feel and make no apologies. We have been beat down enough times, we are not vocal people, that is why it's still acceptable for people to hate us. But I am standing up, your game needs a rewrite and I will judge again fairly @ that time. Make the Gaje Vampires and let us have some virtue!
Casimire

13 comments:

Dave M said...

The game maker is me.

I was not trying to exploit anyone.
If you really feel that way, I will drop all reference to Romani people in my game (and I will not add in a thinly veiled Romani substitute, I try to live as an honest man).

It was never my intention to harm anyone, or benefit from the exploitation of others.

But that doesn't matter if it is hurtful nonetheless.
Dave M

Casimire said...

Dave, It had the potential of being a good thing, that is why I directed you towards Morgan. You wanted input from Romani Community and would like to be shown in positive light and without stereo types. Even an ad for Swiffer dust mop has a fortune teller. No Gypsy is going to appreciate being portrayed as Vampire? WHy can't we be in positive light?

Xasimire said...

Dave, I suggest you read the book "We Borrow the Earth" by Patrick Lee. That is a more positive view of Romanichal Culture! Respectfully Casimire

Dave M said...

Casimire,
I cannot, in good conscience, include anything about Romani culture in my game now that I have been laughed at for trying to understand Romani culture and accused of exploiting the very people I was trying to help for my own gain.
I have already started removing that portion from my game. The part I intend to keep, if it is alright, are the notable people in history (from 1870 to 1890) that were Romani people, because I think people need to know how large of a contribution the Romani people have made to modern civilization.
I have done a little bit of research and come up with:
Cornelius Smith - Britain-born, Romani, Christian evangelist. After Cornelius heard the good word, he spread it to all who would listen in England and America.
Jaja Sattler - German-born Romani priest and scholar.
Rodney Smith - English-born Romani evangelist. He is currently spreading the good word in London.
It's not a lot, so, if you know of any other Romani people that should be on the list of influential people for that time period, feel free to let me know and I will include them.

Dave M said...

Also, to be clear, I am sorry for distracting this blog from more important issues.
There are much larger problems that the Romani people need to work on that they should not be distracted by my ignorance, I apologize for any offense and am working quickly to rectify it.

Morgan said...

Ah Dave, It's nice you're trying, but to point out a blatant affront, Roma "evangelicals" and "preachers" of the Christian word are Not who this Sinti woman wants to be represented by. You need much more research into Romani connection with organized religion.
How are you defining influential---as relates to you or to me. We are not influenced by the same people
Morgan

Dave M said...

Morgan,
I have no leg to stand on. I defer to your judgment.
I found some great entries before and after this time period, but I couldn't find any that were definitely active during this time period.
Religion, Politics, Military, Science and Academics all play a major role in this setting. That is why our evangelical friends made the list.
Anyone who you feel should be represented will be.

Casimire said...

I'll give you an example. I am in my 50's and I went to Sara Kali Romani festival last year in the south of France. St. Marie de la Mer is a very powerful place. Gypsies been going there for 1000 years or more. Long story short...I had a very profound experience there. I realized I was living in a stste of fear, that am almost in a stste of panic constantly. But all them Gypsies, I did not see that look in their eyes, they were living in the moment. They looked happy! I'm sure they had much bigger problems then me. But none had that look in their eye. You get it? That is how you could portray us? Enlightened beings, above the frey. Just my opinion! Casimire

Dave M said...

Casimire,
The game was set up so that the only people who could change the world for the better are the Romani people and no one else. It is a game, so I can't control the players. Like in Monopoly you can't make someone buy Baltimore Avenue or in backgammon you can't make someone roll a 12.
But, if you are the game designer, you can make it so that only certain things can win. And that is what I did. I set it up so that only the Romani people can change the world and those that remain true to Romaniya would get a bonus to making that change.

When I realized that I was trying to understand the Romani people by reading books and visiting web sites, I decided I needed to have a good conversation with a Romani person in order to clear up any misunderstandings I might have.
I fully intended to re-write the game after I had gained that understanding.

But, I never got a chance, I was accused of exploiting the Romani people for my own gain.
I take that very seriously. Even if I had completely re-written my game, that accusation would still be out there.
The only way I cold see of proving that I was not trying to exploit Romani people for my own game was to change the game so that the game did not rely on them for success or failure.
I did not make that decision lightly, I mean I had to undo a lot of work. But I believe that actions speak louder than words. I wanted to show decisively, with my actions, that I took your criticisms seriously and were not ignoring legitimate concerns of honest and good people.
In fact, I have removed the Romani from the vampire parts of the game already.
The book is still rough, but it will get better after some editing.
Thanks for your patience and understanding.

Morgan said...

Oh Dave.
I for one would prefer to not be represented in any game, but especially by someone who knows nothing about us. Even you admit that.
How about you represent your own culture.
Morgan

Dave M said...

Morgan,
I have already taken the Romani people out of the vampire parts of my game (which is pretty much the whole game).
I wasn't asking to represent your people. I just have a list of famous people from that time period ()18709-1890) at the end of the book.
I was asking you if there were any famous people that should be on that list.
I am really sorry about our misunderstandings.
I hope you can forgive my ignorance. And more importantly, I hope your efforts to raise awareness to the plight of the Rroma is successful.
Dave M

Casimire said...

Dave, You 'gotta understand. Roma really have reverance for those who pass. It's almost like Taoism. So to portray us as vampires, no matter your intentions, it is huge error. Just 'ill piss a lot of people off!
Evangelicals, some of us have been abused by them. I mentioned the whole thing with son of Cain and forging nails myth. I would rather be associated with Charlie Chaplin or Rita Hayworth or a Peace Prize Winner.
Thank you for talking to us!
Casimire

Morgan said...

Casimire, you are eloquent.
Devlesa phral
morgan