Monday, February 13, 2012

GAY MARRIAGE

Today, Governor Christine Gregoire signed a bill legalizing Gay marriage in Washington State. 

Gays can get married here this June, UNLESS of course the bigotted in the state get enough signatures to challenge it.

I know I should be celebrating but I just can't. 

I have worked for the rights of gay men and lesbians for decades now, but marriage is no more important to me than gays in the military. 

I really couldn't celebrate gays in the military because I don't believe ANYONE should serve in the military.  So now gay people can go to foreign lands and kill working people or be killed by them.
Hmmm.

Forgive me if I don't open the champagne.

I've also been opposed to the institution of marriage for my entire political career.  Guess I'm just one of those old cynical feminists.

We have come a long way.

I wasn't at the original Stonewall Riot, but I was at the demonstrations in New York for all the following days.

We were beaten, attacked by police on horseback, locked up, committed to mental prisons...

We had such high hopes for the Gay movement.  Those were the days of Lavendar Menace,
Radical Dykes, Radical Fairies, and other groups dedicated to the common good. 

We sought alliances with the poor in both the U.S. and abroad. 

We joined with Angela Davis in supporting political prisoners and the legacy of Martin Luther King Jr in confronting racism, sexism, poverty and war.

So, it's good news about Gay marriage, but please forgive me if I just don't feel like celebrating.

PHOTO: www.usatoday.com

1 comment:

Morgan said...

sarah,

thanks so much for this information.

i'm aware of some of the other hacking and am considering putting it on the blog. if i do, may i also publish your comment.

let me know and thanks again

morgan